Sunday, August 5, 2007

Day 5 & 6

I’ve been way too busy to blog the past few days hanging out with my brother and checking out museums and art galleries in Houston and checking up on some art investments. He also gave me a tour of Rice University where he used to hang out when he was the director of the Sara Campbell Blaffer Art Foundation. I got some great architectural shots, particularly of the interior of the Engineering Department building, which reminded me of Karnak in Egypt.

Here’s a snap of one of my brother's Picasso’s. See post above.


Here’s some of my art work. See post above.

Five grandchildren can also use up a little energy. I swear I don’t know how my son and his wife do it. I think the secret is that they have trained the kids to all help out. They are a pretty good team.

Yes, it has been hot in Houston with a few sprinkles and some thunder and lightning, but nothing serious, and the locals say that it has been mercifully cool for this time of year only in the 90s with relatively low humidity.

As promised, I’m including some shots of my grandkids, but instead of stills, I’m going to share some video clips. I know, they are really terrible. I blame the camera.

The kids enjoy romping in the pool several times a day to keep cool. Here's a short clip of Ethan 3 and Ariana 8 in the pool in the backyard. www.synergetics.org/moblogpix/IMGP2647.AVI

Here’s 12 year old Brendon who just read the last Harry Potter book in two days playing the piano. Check it out here: www.synergetics.org/moblogpix/IMGP2650.AVI

At age ten, Cameron is an expert on the culture of Native Americans and likes to make arrowheads. He makes moccasins too. Here he is demonstrating an amazing talent that I believe he created all by himself—playing the recorder with his nose. Follow this link: www.synergetics.org/moblogpix/IMGP2722.AVI

Three year-old Nathan is a troublemaker with a smile that melts your heart so that you can’t really get mad at him. Here's the little dickins in action: www.synergetics.org/moblogpix/IMGP2658.AVI

Ariana at eight years should be on American Idol. Here’s she’s performing with a dead microphone for a prop. www.synergetics.org/moblogpix/IMGP2688.AVI. Her performance is really a lot better than her grandfather's cinematography.

One year old Daniella is just starting to play the piano. Her enthusiasm exceeds her ability at the moment, but she certainly has the spirit. See for yourself: www.synergetics.org/moblogpix/IMGP2733.AVI

Today Matt, Romana, and I drove to San Antonio and hung out along the San Antonio River that meanders through San Antonio lined with restaurants, hotels, and shops. It’s teaming with tourists. Tourists eager to learn the area’s colorful history cruise the river listening as the raconteur boat drivers regale them with tall tales.

I really think Moscow’s Economic Development Committee should seriously consider creating a river that flows through town and using reclaimed sewer water to supply it. Moscow could be a major tourist attraction in the Northwest.

We also spent some time at the Alamo where so many Americans met their end in the battle of 1846. Swarming with tourists and impeccably groomed grounds make it difficult to imagine the tragedy that occurred here.

The Mexicans may have won that battle but ultimately lost the war—or did they? Mexican culture is very much alive here today and it is probably better to be able to speak Spanish than English. I’ve been getting a lot of practice speaking Spanish.

After exploring Austin tomorrow, we plan to head for the Texas Hill Country.

We haven’t seen a single armadillo yet, which surprises me because in the past we would have seen hundreds by now. We did see a few squished turtles, which is always sad and one live one that I moved out of the road and sure destruction. Perhaps we’ll see some armadillos in Hill Country today.

Sorry about the lack of images. Blogger is not allowing me to post any AVI files. When I get time, I'll publish them elsewhere and put links to them here.

Keep connected <<>>

No comments: